Monday, July 15, 2013

Through Papa's Eyes (A Guest Post, Grandpa's Story)


My Papa wrote me a wonderful letter and he gave me permission to share it.  There are a few pieces I wanted to take out but Papa asked me to keep them in since the stuff I would take out was about me.  Thank you Papa for letting me share! 



Papa's Letter


My Dear Cretia


                Twenty four years ago you finally arrived.  It took mom and I quite some time to figure out how to get you here and the longing anticipation was almost unbearable. But then, there you were and within a twinkling of a moment, that moment when I first held you in my arms and counted your fingers and toes…  1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, perfect!…. well, I knew in that moment that life would never be the same.  Suddenly I was the father of an angel.  Sure, everyone thinks that their child is the most precious angel ever sent to earth.  But the thing is, no one else (except mom) had the opportunity to have you in their life like I did, so they couldn’t possibly know what I knew…. that you were truly the most amazing little girl ever.  We connected quickly you and I, and even more quickly you seemed to understand that forever more, even your most minimal of needs would quickly become my most important task.  To say I was wrapped around your little finger would be an understatement.  You were daddy’s little girl, but just as obvious and something you seemed to sense and quickly learn how to manipulate….. was the fact that I was little girl’s daddy.  And ya know, I have always been OK with that!

                For the sake of time, let’s jump forward 23 ½ years or so…. Wait, I must throw in a couple of antidotes. First, it has never ceased to amaze me how someone so active, fun loving, mischievous, and yes even naughty, could so easily morph into this angelic being who deserves quick forgiveness and expects constant benefit of the doubt!  It always seemed so easy to forget whatever it was you had done, and believe me, you done a bunch….. and wrap you in my arms remembering the angel that you truly are.  Something about that “little finger thing” ya got going, I’m sure.  Second, all little children have grand ideas of what they want to be when they grow up.  Common responses are: “The first Woman President of the United States.  A Doctor.  A Nurse.  A Veterinarian,” etc.  But you, you always had far greater goals and aspirations – and you never wavered, it was always the same.  When asked what you wanted to be when you grew up you always, emphatically stated “I wanna be a Mommy!”  You would say “I want to be just like Mom, and have a bunch of kids, and I am going to love them and teach them and……”  “Mommy” was always your dream job.

                So 23 ½ years later, you finally got to begin your life long anticipated career.  Little Bridger was born (and man that wasn’t easy!)!  But finally, this perfect little bundle of joy came rushing into our hearts.  I remember thinking “wow! Parenthood is amazing but being a grandparent has to be about as close as we get to Heaven on earth.”  And to watch you and Jake step into your new role as parents and manage them so admirably, well that’s a whole ‘nother level of parental pride in my book.  You guys are simply amazing.  But you know, it didn’t surprise me.  I’ve always known you would be an awesome mom.  And Bridger?  Well, that perfect little guy suffered no lack of love and attention from the many uncles, aunts, grandparents and friends.  He wanted for nothing and our whole world began with the words “where’s Bridger?”  Talk about an exciting time.  We’ve always been a very close, loving family, but somehow this little dude managed to intensify this love to levels I can only describe as exquisite. True joy!  But then….

                As if it is carved into my mind, I remember the day you handed Bridger to me and with this deep look of concern and fear asked me a question for which I know you already sensed the reply.  “Papa, hold Bridger.  Do you think those muscle spasms are something we need to be concerned about?”  Spasms?  What are you talking about?  Within moments however, I knew.  Bridger suddenly tensed up, bent forward, and whimpered in obvious discomfort.  His eyes quivered back and forth and his little hands clenched into tight little fists.  It only lasted a few seconds and stopped.  But then within moments another began, same bodily reactions, same whimper and discomfort. This went on over and over for about five minutes.  I could hardly bear to witness it.  “No, this is not normal.  We need to get immediate medical attention.  It is something to be very concerned about.”  Little did we know….

                The next several weeks are detailed with raw emotion and perfect clarity in your blog.  I need not repeat the clinical aspects as you have done so quite admirably, and quite frankly, you know them far better than anyone.  But what you may not know are the thoughts and feelings that your Papa experienced.  I’m sure others had similar rides, but I want you to know what I felt, what I experienced, what I witnessed…… if for no other reason than to know that though this has been a lonely, terrifying, helpless, hopeless journey – you’ve never, nor will you ever travel it alone.

                After the initial diagnosis, and the fluffy, completely inadequate description of what to expect (medical folks forget that this is “our” first time), I felt some reassurance that this could all quickly be resolved.  You know of my faith and trust in God.  I had total faith that God would help our little guy get through this quickly and this was just a little detour.  For the first few weeks I just remained in this little oblivious world, not wanting to believe that this was going to be anything but over soon.  But the seizures continued and I watched as my perfect little grandson morphed into this pudgy, sedated, non- responsive little dough-boy.  The steroids puffed him up like a balloon and he started to look like the marshmallow man in that Ghost Busters movie.  No more smiles.  No more giggles.  Hell, no more reaction at all except for the occasional whimper expressing discomfort.  The poor little guy couldn’t even cry.  He just lay there, occasionally moaning.  I began to get frustrated with the slow response to the medications.  The seizures continued and the still less than informative neurologists just kept throwing additional medication at him.  I couldn’t help but feel that if the seizures didn’t kill him, the medication surely would. 

                In desperation one night I finally decided to dig deeper.  If the doctors weren’t going to save my grandson then by damn, I was going to find a cure.  That night I had a rude awakening.  The research threw out words like “catastrophic, mental retardation, possible autism, severe neurological deficit, decreased life span, and if not controlled quickly, possible immediate death.”  What the SWEAR WORD!  I had no idea.  I was devastated, and angry at the doctors for not being more forthcoming with information.  Turns out, this is such an odd disease that there is no known “exact cure” for it.  The doctors were simply trying what had on occasion worked in the past.  They just didn’t know for sure what the correct response was.  None-the-less, I was ticked off.  I came to find out that you already knew all this and I was immediately ashamed of my frequent naïve comments to you, telling you to keep the faith and assuring you that everything was going to be alright.  I felt deep sadness, and pride, as I thought of the many times you just listened to my naivety and instead of setting me straight with the facts, simply let me hold onto my hope.  You protected me.  Even in the midst of your own fear and sadness you protected me.  I was devastated by the thought that my little girl was likely in her most intense time of need, and I did not provide the requisite, objective and supportive response.  I wasn’t there for you like I should have been and that tore me up inside.  That night of research was a sleepless night.  I spent so much of it in conversation with God, and wish I could tell you that I handled that conversation with Christ-like humility, but I didn’t.  I was mad to be honest. 

                I told God that I knew He didn’t do this to Bridger (I just don’t buy off on the concept of God doing such things); but that I also knew He could fix it if He chose to.  I reminded Him that we were talking about Cretia here, our amazing angel of a daughter whose greatest aspiration in life is to be a mommy.  “Did you know God, that she’s now saying that she should never give birth again because the odds are high that future children will suffer the same illness and she is not willing to take that risk?  Did you know that God?”  I asked Him “why, of all His daughters here on earth, did Cretia have to be the one to deal with this?  She’s our angel, God.  No one would provide a happier life for children than her.  Please, just take this burden from her.”  To this point, it hasn’t happened, but I’m still hopeful.  I think I am a little more realistic now though, than I once was. 

                As the illness has continued and I’ve watched your anxiety increase and your weight decrease (you’re getting dreadfully skinny sweetheart. Please eat)….. my frustration multiplied.  I’ve never lost faith, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t get a little angry and a lot frustrated.  The despair I’ve felt as I’ve watched you, Jake, and Bridger suffer is sometimes overwhelming.  It sucks to realize that there is very little I can do for you.  I can’t just hug you, wipe the tears away, put a Band-Aid and a kiss on this and make it go away.  Papa’s (at least this Papa), are not supposed to be helpless.  When our little ones come to us for help, we are supposed to be able to fix it!  But sweetie, I can’t this time, even though I really, really want to.  I feel like I’ve broken that trust you gave me the very first time I held you in my arms.  I’m bawling my eyes out as I write this. Damn this just really stinks! I am so, so sorry for your pain, Jake’s pain, and sweet Bridger’s suffering. 

                I’ve had a little time to reflect since writing that last little bit and I am a little ashamed of my selfish reactions.  This isn’t about me, after all.  I even feel a little self-serving in just the writing of this letter.  It is somewhat of a gratuitous, cathartic reach at peace and explanation.  I’m hesitating on even giving it to you now.  There is some peace that comes in the expression of things, and perhaps putting it in writing is adequate, without delivery of the actual letter to you.  I don’t know.  I do know that the past week has brought a little more hope.  The new medication that was started 9 days ago has stopped the seizures and the process of titrating the other meds off has begun.  Yesterday Bridger was over to our house while you were at work.  When I got home your little sister came running up to me and excitedly proclaimed that “Bridger is smiling!”  I anxiously ran into the house for I have so longed to see his smiling face, and sure enough! He was smiling.  I even got him to giggle a little bit!  Talk about tender mercies!  This is exactly what I needed and gives me such hope.     

                Regardless of where this windy road takes you my dear daughter, you are not alone.  I’ve no delusion that it’s all just going to go away.  There is much we still do not know, and much that little Bridger has yet to endure, overcome, and live through.  I do strongly believe that all will be well.  As you know, we have experienced many trials as a family, and the definition of “well” is often different than what we might have had in mind.  But I do know without doubt that all will be well.  As a family we will do this thing together.  I wish you could still be in our home regularly as we live together, talk together, worship and pray together.  Very rarely does a conversation exist that doesn’t eventually include discussion of Bridger.  There is never a prayer uttered that does not include you, Jake, and Bridger.  Many of my own prayers have been about nothing but you, Jake and Bridger.  You are deeply loved, and we are here for you…… anytime and all the time.   

                And finally, once again, I am very, very proud of you!  Like I said earlier, I’ve always known you are special.  You have always been my little princess and an angel here on earth.  But watching you gracefully endure this challenge with the love and patience of a Saint, and the protective nature and tenacity of a lioness where necessary, has validated my opinion, and surely secured your place among those most precious and worthy of our Father’s presence.  You continue to amaze me and I love you with all of my heart.  If it had to happen, I’m glad Bridger has you to help him through it.  No one could love him more. 

Papa


Thank you Papa for sharing and letting me share.  It is amazing how deeply tragedy affects us yet brings us all so closely together.  I've definitely got one incredible Papa :) 

Daddy's Girl!



No comments:

Post a Comment